Terms and Conditions
Home Public Background
Terms and Conditions
Last Updated: 23rd October 2020
1. OWNERSHIP OF THE SITE
1.1. Welcome to the website at www.readersroom-harpercollins.co.uk ('Site') which is owned by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. ('HCP') HCP’s registered address is at 103 Westerhill Rd, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow G64 2QT.
1.2. The Site is operated by HCP, and materials on the Site are owned, for the most part, by HCP. The Site may also include materials owned by third parties and posted on the Site with the permission of other people.
1.3. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
1.4. By using the Site you are agreeing to these terms and conditions (Agreement). From time to time we may update this Agreement. It is up to you to check for updates and by continuing to use the Site you are agreeing to any updated terms. It is therefore important that you read this page regularly to ensure you are updated as to any changes. If you become aware of misuse of this Site by any person, please contact us with your concerns.
1.5. Please note these terms and conditions will remain in effect even after your user account or access to the Site is terminated.
2.1. The HarperCollins Readers’ Room is an online insight community, where passionate readers can share their honest feedback on all things books by completing online research surveys (the Purpose). It is designed to gather insights and engage readers in a new way. As well as complying with these terms and conditions, HCP expects you to abide with the spirit of the Site.
3. ACCESS AND USE
3.1. HCP grants you a licence to access the Site subject to these terms and conditions. HCP may terminate your account and/or access to the Site at any time, for any or no reason (including but not limited to if your account is inactive), with or without prior notice or explanation, and without liability.
3.2. In order to use the Site for the Purpose you must create an online account. This option is available to UK residents aged 18 years and over.
3.5. We have the right to disable any user password at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these terms and conditions.
3.6. We reserve the right to remove your access to the reader panel at any time if we deem your account to be inactive. You may end your participation at any time. You can unsubscribe from the reader panel at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3.7. If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your password, you must change your password immediately and promptly notify us at email@example.com.
3.8. You agree that your account is non-transferable and any rights to your account terminate upon your death.
4. SITE CONTENT
4.1. All materials contained in this Site are protected by intellectual property law and must only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. This means that you may only view or download material from this Site for your own use and you must keep all copyright and other proprietary notices attached to the downloaded material.
4.2. The reproduction, duplication, distribution (including by way of e-mail, facsimile or other electronic means), publication, modification, copying or transmission of material from this Site is strictly prohibited.
4.3. The material covered by this prohibition includes, without limitation, any text, graphics, pictures, ebooks, logos, photographs, audio or video material or stills from audiovisual material available on the Site and any material visible on the materials displayed on the Site.
You are also strictly prohibited from creating works or materials that derive from or are based on the materials contained in this Site including, without limitation, fonts, icons, link buttons, wallpaper, desktop themes, online postcards and greeting cards and unlicensed merchandise. This prohibition applies regardless of whether the derivative materials are sold, bartered or given away.
4.4. The use of materials from this Site on any other Web site or networked computer environment or in any other format is similarly prohibited.
4.5. Requests for permission to reproduce or distribute in digital form the online materials found on this Site can be made by contacting HCP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4.6. You agree that by giving us comments or feedback that (i) we have a licence to use that for any reason including, but not limited to, quotes for reviews, marketing, or improving user experience, and (ii) that you shall have no rights in any book or any content on our website. We will only use your comments and feedback for the Purpose and shall not refer to any of your personal details unless you agree. In the event you do agree, you may withdraw your consent to this at any time.
5.1. You agree that you will not publish, distribute, repurpose, and/or disseminate in any form (including, without limitation, through photographs, drawings, videos, print, email, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, TikTok or other social media, orally and/or otherwise) any spoilers, plot points, twists, or character developments in any of the books received in conjunction with your participation in the reader panel (collectively, the “Confidential Information”).
5.2. You need our prior written consent to disclose Confidential Information to any third party. We reserve the right to issue take down notices to any party to whom you have disclosed Confidential Information and we shall be entitled to seek equitable relief, including injunctive relief, as you acknowledge that there may not be an adequate remedy in law.
5.3. As a reader panel member you will receive invitations to take part in short surveys from us. Participation is voluntary and there is no obligation to complete every survey. If you have elected to be eligible for selection as a ‘Reader of the Month’ (which you can do on registration to the Site) you will be eligible for selection by us to be our ‘Reader of the Month’ by completing at least one of the surveys we send you over the course of the prior month. If selected, we shall contact you directly to ask you a few questions, the answers to which will be shared on the portal and the Readers’ Room newsletter. We will not share information without your express permission beforehand.
5.4. From time to time, the Site may allow you to post your own material on it, and you grant HCP a licence to display that material. However, the Site is not a storage facility, so you should always keep copies of your own material secure elsewhere.
6. LINKED SITES
6.1. Where the Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
7. DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY AND WARRANTIES
7.1. While HCP does its best to ensure the optimal performance of the Site, you agree that you use this Site and rely on material contained in this Site at your own risk.
7.2. The Site, and all materials in the Site, are provided 'as is' and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, are provided without warranties of any kind either express or implied. We do not guarantee that the Site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of the Site for maintenance or any other reason.
7.3. You acknowledge that HCP, its parents and affiliates together with their respective employees, agents, directors, officers and shareholders, are not liable for any delays, inaccuracies, failures, errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, viruses, communication line failures or for the theft, destruction, damage or unauthorized access to your computer system or network.
7.4. You acknowledge that HCP is not liable for any defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct or material found in connection with this Site, including such conduct or material transmitted by any means by any other person.
7.5. You acknowledge that HCP is not liable for any damages, including, without limitation, direct, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damages, in connection with or arising from your use or from your inability to use the Site.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless HCP, its parents and affiliates together with their respective employees, agents, directors, officers and shareholders, from and against all the liabilities, claims, damages and expenses (including reasonable legal fees and costs) arising out of your use of this Site, your breach or alleged breach of this Agreement or your breach or alleged breach of the copyright, trademark, proprietary or other rights of third parties.
9. BOOKS OF THE MONTH
Each month we shall hold a random prize draw subject the following terms:
1. This ‘Books of the Month’ competition is promoted by HCP.
2. This promotion is open to UK residents, who participate in the reader panel and have completed at least one survey that month, except employees of HarperCollins Publishers limited, 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9FG (or their parent, subsidiaries or any affiliated companies) and their immediate families, who are not allowed to enter the competition.
2.1.1. If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain written parental or guardian consent to enter and claim your prize. HCP may ask the winner to provide proof of age.
2.2. Any application containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will be rejected. Any application made on behalf of or for another person or multiple entries will not be included in the competition.
3. Entry instructions, opening date, closing date, prize and any other significant terms will be specified for each individual competition. No entries received after the closing date will be accepted.
4. No purchase necessary.
5. Only one entry allowed per household.
6. The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and subject to availability. No guarantee is given as to the quality of the prize and HCP will, in its sole discretion and based on whatever criteria it sees fit, decide which of its publications shall be the ‘Books of the Month’ for that calendar month.
7. No cash or prize alternatives are available.
8. HCP reserve the right in their reasonable discretion to substitute any prize with a prize of equal or greater value.
9. The winner of the competition will be drawn at random by an independent adjudicator and notified by email within 28 days of the closing date. Where we require details from you, if you do not provide these within 14 days of notification we reserve the right to select a different winner.
10. If there is any copyright in your entry, you grant to us a licence to use your entry for the competition and marketing purposes.
11. No entries will be returned, unless specified.
12. All entrants are expected to act fairly and in the good spirit of the competition. HCP reserves the right to investigate any irregularities and disqualify entrants at its absolute discretion.
13. The prize will be delivered to the winner within 28 days of the closing date, unless specified. HCP reserves the right to select another winner if the original winner cannot be contacted within a reasonable timeframe. 14. During this period of uncertainty, we will aim to adhere to the deadline for delivery stipulated, however in the event we are unable to meet that deadline due to the current circumstances and potential unforeseen factors outside our control, we will ensure relevant timely communication with the winner and in the unlikely event delivery becomes impossible, we may offer a refund or a reasonable substitute product.
14. Any application containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will be rejected. Any applications made on behalf of or for another person or multiple entries will not be included in the competition.
15. HCP’s decision as to who has won the competition shall be final.
16. To obtain details of the prize winner after the closing date, please contact us at email@example.com.
17. The entry instructions are part of the Terms and Conditions for this competition.
18. By entering the competition you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your entry will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter this competition.
19. By entering this competition, you are agreeing that if you win your name may be used for the purpose of announcing the winner in any related publicity with HCP, however, you may withdraw your consent to this at any time.
21. Under no circumstances will HCP be responsible for any loss, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with any errors, defects, interruptions, malfunctions or delays in the promotion of the competition or prize.
22. HCP will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this competition and HCP can cancel or alter the competition at any stage.
23. Any dispute relating to the competition shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
We will run other competitions from time to time, and we will post terms as and when they open.
10.1 This Agreement operates to the fullest extent permissible by law. If any provision of this Agreement is unlawful, void or unenforceable, that provision is deemed severable from this Agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
This Agreement is governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of England & Wales. In the event of a dispute the exclusive jurisdiction for such disputes shall be the courts of England & Wales for resolution of any dispute, action or proceeding arising in connection with this Agreement or your use or non-use of the Site.
© 2020 HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. All Rights Reserved